Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Trailer Tuesday - 42

This week's edition of Trailer Tuesday features a baseball movie! Yay! I first saw this trailer in September, strategically placed amongst the trailers previewed before Trouble With the Curve.

Check out the trailer for the upcoming biopic, 42:



I have seen this trailer twice more since that first night in September and it still looks awesome! Yes, I may be a little biased as I love baseball films (as most of you probably already know from my post last summer about my Top 10 Baseball Films) but you can't deny the impact a film like this will have on the world.

The film is a biopic of the baseball star Jackie Robinson, who was the first black player in the MLB. Written and directed by Brian Helgeland (LA Confidential, Mystic River, Man on Fire, Salt), the film will undoubtedly have a strong storyline and will likely bring out the best of its cast.

Robinson is being portrayed by a relatively unknown actor named Chadwick Boseman. This is a good move by the producers and people behind the film, as it's hard to have a well-known actor portray an iconic person in film. You don't want the actor's previous works overshadow the current role. Harrison Ford will portray Branch Rickey, the man that signed Robinson. Chris Meloni (Law and Order: SVU) will portray Leo Durocher, manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, the team that Robinson first played on.

What really sold me on this well-made trailer (kudos to you, Warner Bros.) was the music. Can't go wrong with a good Jay Z tune (Brooklyn We Go Hard)! Seriously, how can you not get goosebumps when you hear the rapper say "I Jack, I Rob, I Sin". What a clever play on the name! Such a poignant statement.

Not going to say much more as this one is clearly on the Spring 2013 movie list. I'll let the trailer speak for itself.

For more information on the upcoming film, check out the wikipedia page or the film's official page.

No comments: