Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Trailer Tuesday: The Lone Ranger



The Lone Ranger
Director: Gore Verbinski
Stars: Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, and Tom Wilkinson




I have mixed feelings about The Lone Ranger. While director Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean 1, 2, & 3, Rango) and producer Jerry Bruckheimer (Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure) together are sure to create an entertaining movie, I am getting a little weary of Johnny Depp's "characters". After playing Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates franchise, it seems to me that whichever character Depp plays ends up taking over by demanding to be the centre of attention. But the character of Tonto is different. Granted Depp is playing into the stoic native stereotype but that is at least in step with the original series. Tonto can't go wobbling around chewing the scenery and I am curious to see what Depp does with such a character.

I'm not excited to see The Lone Ranger yet I'll likely still make the trip to the cinema. It's the typical Verbinski/Bruckheimer fare: cheap laughs, entertaining situations, and unbelievable, light-hearted action.

The Lone Ranger is currently scheduled for a May release date.

1 comment:

Arlaine said...

Of course I will see this film simply because my husband is starring in it. I am hoping that they tread lightly when it comes to Depp's character being Native American - and hopefully that will slow him from "taking over" the entire film. I agree Christine - looks like it is a great summer blockbuster to kick off the summer movie list!